Now that the school year is almost over, I finally got the meeting with all of Tristan's teachers that I've been hoping for. I'm not sure what difference it will make at this point since next year he will have all new teachers, but at least I got to voice my concerns. Before I left for the meeting I sat down and prayed that God would give me the strength to stay calm and that He would give me the right words to say. I get nervous when I have to meet with people for some reason. That just goes along with my fear of public speaking I guess. I can attest to the fact that prayer works. I got a little shaky at one point, but my words came out perfect. I kept my cool and didn't get irritated when they said something I completely disagreed with. I was rather disappointed that his band teacher wasn't in attendance as he is one of the teachers that Tristan has the most trouble with, but I anticipate a meeting with him on Tuesday morning. I'm just hoping that I actually get a phone call on Monday morning confirming a time. In the past I haven't had any luck getting my phone calls returned or even calls that a particular counselor has said to me in person that he would make. I got some positive feedback from some of the teachers however one teacher is stubborn and has no intention of budging even one bit. He's straight forward, to the point and it's his way or the highway. He doesn't care what a childs personality is, what areas a child needs a little extra help on, what a child is going through on a particular day due to deployments or anything else for that matter. I heard over and over again how brilliant my son is and that he just sometimes needs redirected. His main problem is simply turning in his work. I get that and that's why I showed up today to try to come up with a solution that we can use in coordination with school and home to help him remember to turn his stuff in. His teachers agreed with me that he doesn't seem to neglect schoolwork on purpose he just gets sidetracked super easily. When something is assigned and not due for a few days, Tristan will have quality work done before he even leaves the class, but by the turn in day he forgets about it. Many of his teachers have said that it will be okay if he turns it in as soon as he's done instead of waiting until turn in day. That will be very helpful. Another issue is that they are required to keep all their papers, including graded papers, in a binder that they have to carry around all day. He's gone through two of the two inch binders this year because they get so full the binding comes apart. Those folders are impossible to keep in order with that much stuff in them. The kids don't have lockers so they have to carry that along with their backpacks full of books around with them all day. They can't leave a folder with graded papers in their locker for safe keeping because, well, the lockers don't exist. It's such a messed up system and makes no sense. Their explanation for keeping all of this was so that the kids can learn how to keep files. They're 7th graders, why do they need to learn that and why if that's the case, can't they keep their "files" at home or in the classroom. If it weren't for all the unnecessary papers, they would be able to find the papers that they need a lot easier. Another issue I brought up are the "31 second" fights that have apparently been happening at the school. Kids will punch a friend for 31 seconds to see how much they can take. My problem is that they aren't letting the parents know when things like this are going on. A friend of mine had to tell me about it. Tristan didn't even know what it was which is a good thing because I know he wasn't around the kids that are doing it. However it would be nice to know when there's an ongoing problem so we can talk to our kids about it. The counselor thought that was a good point and said they will look further into a system for informing the parents for next year. Why wait till next year I have no idea and why they didn't think of that I'll never understand either. At least maybe something can be implemented in that area. I'm not sure anything will actually change, but I feel better about the fact that I at least got to voice my concerns and some of the teachers seem willing to work with us. Only time will tell. I'll just keep praying for God to work it all out for the best.
On another subject, I'm kinda getting use to zipping around in this little Impala I've been driving. I'm really missing my big truck though. I'm not a small car kind of girl. I like my big trucks. I want to be sitting up high and looking down on those little cars that would be crushed if they ran into my truck. I don't like being the one that would be crushed. Hehe. I feel like I'm sitting on the street as low as this car sits. Like at any minute my butt will be dragging the ground. hehe I'm not complaining though. I'm just grateful that I have his impala to drive. If it weren't for that I don't know what I would have done to get around. God is good and he always provides! Luckily, God also blessed us with some amazing friends next door. He came over tonight and changed the tire on my Armada so I can take the low tire in next week to get it fixed. I'll feel so much better driving there on the spare as opposed to the tire that could possibly go completely flat before I get there. I got to visit with my friend while her husband was changing it and that was nice. Even though we live next door I don't get much opportunity to just sit and visit with her. That all has to do with the fact of who I am though I guess. I tend to keep to myself for the most part. Especially when Trint is gone. When I'm not on the go running errands or taking the kids out to do something, I tend to like to relax in front of the tv with the kids or play games with them. Back on subject...I'm so blessed and so grateful for all of my awesome friends here in Hawaii. I know that if I ever need anything there is always someone to help. I don't ask for help unless totally necessary, but in the instance I need it, I have nothing to worry about. In fact, the thought did cross my mind to go change it myself, but I really have no idea how to aside from watching Trint do it. I probably would have dropped the truck on my foot or something with my luck and coordination. hehe If you're reading this, my neighbors, thanks again so much for your help. I appreciate it more than you could imagine!
The rest of the evening is going to be mommy kids time. We just got done watching "Gullivers Travels" and we're getting ready to play some games, after I make us some orange julius of course. What's game night at the Guyett house without orange julius? Unless of course Trint is here to go on an ice cream run for us. Hey baby, could you come home for just the evening to run and get us some ice cream? We would really appreciate it. We would NOT let you leave again though. We'd have to soldier nap you and tie you up in the garage so they can't take you back. Hehe We miss you baby and we love you larger than life!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.